Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Army Strong **Memory Maze**

My husband is serving in Kabul, Afghanistan at Camp Phoenix as part of Task Force Centurion for the US Army.  He deployed in September 2012 and is still there.  We miss him so much.  With this picture he sent us (rather to my oldest son for a school project) I thought it deserved a grungy layout to go with the colors of the army and also with how dirty he says everything including the air over there is.  We can't wait for you to come come Captain Reed.


The fun part about doing a layout like this is you can add anything you want.  I look at my complete work as a grown up version of an I SPY hunt a find layout.  I do try and use objects that fit with the theme of the layout.  So masculine, army, manly, worldly, or just geometric shapes were the items I chose.   


Here I used all sorts of old plastic jewelry, metal bits, old rivets, plastic chain, and other found items glued them down and them covered them in gesso, let it dry then sprayed them, painted them, and used Gelatos until I achieved the colors I wanted.  some of these pieces were black, pink, grey, brown, or white before I grunged them up.  One found item was a dog tag that was given to my oldest son that says "With you all the way".  I could not resist putting it on the layout, it just ties in so well.

I used various metals, found objects and wonderful Memory Maze chippies.  Here are 2 square buckles, a little angel, and the back small wheel and handle bar of a penny farthing bicycle (pictures below so you can find them in my grunge)

Angel 3 
Penny Farthing

Buckle Square Medium


Here I used the front wheel of the Penny Farthing Bicycle, another small angel, another square buckle, and the word "Best" from "best wishes".

 Best Wishes

Memory Maze Supplies
Penny Farthing - Product ID : C0127
"Best Wishes" - Product ID : C0015
Buckle Square Medium - Product ID : C0042
Angel 3 - Product ID : C0165

Supplies Used
Cardstock - Kaisercraft
Patterned Paper - Bobunny and Prima
Punches - Martha Stewart
Found Items
Embellishments - 7 Gypies, Prima, Tim Holtz, Pink Paisley, K& Co, other
Rubon - Prima
Adhesive - Martha Stewart
Mediums/Inks/Paints - Clearsnap, Deco Art, Ranger, Faber Castle, and Tattered Angles 
Chipboard - Memory Maze

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. So dam amazing girl I love everything about this layout from the little angel to the grungy ness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute to your husband!
    I just love the grungy, masculine style on this and how you have put all the elements together. And the idea of gluing it all down before using gesso and painting creates the most wonderful result - TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG fabulous deep dark and perfect with photo and theme

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, they mean so much to me!!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...